Air Fried Onion Blossom
What You'll Need
3/4 cup rice flour
1 large sweet Vidalia onion
3/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
3 teaspoons olive oil
4 tablespoon Cajun seasoning mix, divided
2 tablespoons yogurt
1 tablespoon water
2 large eggs
What To Do
- 3-bowl breading station: Mix breadcrumbs with olive oil, 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning into the flour.
- In another bowl, beat yogurt, water and eggs.
- Create the Blossom. Peel onion, cut off top. Place cut side down onto a cutting board.
- Starting 1/2 inch from the root, cut downward, all the way to the cutting board. Repeat to make 4 evenly spaced cuts around the onion.
- Continue slicing between each section until there are 8 cuts in total.
- Place sliced onion in an ice water bath for at least 2 hours to overnight. Remove from water, pat dry. Open onion so petals are exposed.
- Place onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle onion generously with flour mixture. Make sure to get in between all petals. Turn onion upside down to remove excess flour.
- Using a ladle, ladle the egg mixture into every crevice. Lift up onion and turn to make sure excess egg drips away.
- Sprinkle onion very generously with breadcrumb mixture. Press breadcrumbs between every petal.
- Place the breaded onion blossom into the frying basket.
- Cover and tent the top of the onion with aluminum foil.
- Use food MENU pre set for CHICKEN. When the CHICKEN icon illuminates, press the START
( > ) button to begin air frying at 360ºF for 20 minutes.
- Check doneness of the onion.
- Remove foil. Increase TEMP to 400 ºF and continue air frying for an additional 5 minutes until browned and crisp.