Best Ever Chocolate Cake with Lemon Frosting
Prep and cook time: 50 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground coffee
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup milk
½ cup olive oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
½ lb butter softened
Zest of 1 lemon
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Prepare a deep 9-inch cake pan by spraying with baking spray and lining with parchment paper to prevent any sticking
2. In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground coffee whisk through to combine evenly
3. In a separate bowl add milk, lemon zest, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla, whisk well than add to flour mixture and fold together until well combined
4. Add boiling water to the cake batter fold through until well combined.
5. Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Cover and seal with foil
6. Place sealed cake pan onto the steamer inset, inside the BELLA 6.5QT AirPro Cook and Fry with OptiPot Technology, (fitted with pressure cooking attachment)
7. Pour in 3 cups of hot water, lock the lid in place and set to pressure cook.
Set timer for 25 minutes and push start.
8. When timer alarms, allow another 5 minutes before pushing the steam release button.
9. Remove from the cooker and allow to cool for 15 minutes, before inverting onto a cake rack to cool completely.
10. To make lemon frosting, use an electric mixer to beat butter, icing sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice together until pale and fluffy.
11. Once cake has cooled completely, split in half horizontally. Spread base cake with lemon frosting ¼ inch thick, lay top layer of cake and then resume frosting the remainder of the cake