½ cup whole milk, warm
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 heaped teaspoon instant
or active dry yeast
1 large egg (room temperature) lightly beaten
½ stick unsalted butter, melted
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup melted butter for glazing
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Warm the milk slightly, luke warm to touch.
2. In small bowl, add milk to the sugar and stir to dissolve.
3. Add yeast and stir gently — let sit in a warm place for 10 minutes.
5. Melt butter in separate bowl until almost melted.
6. Add melted butter to lightly beaten eggs.
Add the egg/butter mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook.
8. Set mixer on medium to low speed and pour in the yeast mixture.
9. Stir for 30 seconds until thoroughly combined.
With mixer still going, add the ¼ tsp of salt and flour in 1/2-cup increments until added.
Stop the mixer, scrape the bowl down, turn the mixer back to a medium speed and allow to mix for a further 4 minutes.
12. Repeat and mix for 30 seconds.
With the mixer off, allow dough to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes to prove.
After 10 minutes, transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl. Toss dough to coat, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
15. Refrigerate dough for at least 6 hours, or overnight if possible
To Make the Doughnuts:
Remove bowl from fridge and turn out dough onto lightly floured surface.
Roll out to 1/4 to 1/3-inch thickness, using a 3-inch cutter, cut as many rounds as you can, then roll out remaining dough and cut as much as you can, etc.
3. Cut holes out of each round using a 1 1/2-inch cutter.
Place both doughnuts and holes on a floured baking sheet, cover with large tea towel and place in a warm place in your kitchen.
Allow doughnuts to rise undisturbed for at least ½ an hour or longer depending on the air temperature.
To Fry the Doughnuts:
1. Pre-heat your BELLA Air Fryer to 175°C/350°F!
Brush donuts on both sides with a little melted butter, place 3-4 donuts into fryer basket (don’t over crowd) and gently ease the donuts into Air Fryer, should take 2-2 ½ minutes to cook, depending on size.
Remove baskets from fryer, brush donuts with a little more butter and then toss with cinnamon sugar while hot.
Repeat with remaining doughnuts and holes. The holes will cook more quickly than the doughnuts.