Cuban-Style Black Bean Soup
What You'll Need
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 8 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 lb dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
- 1 can (3 oz) tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves or green onions
- Warm tortillas
- Lime wedges
What To Do
- Place bacon, onion, carrots, celery, jalapeños, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in Bella 8 QT Multi-Cooker. Press SAUTE*; cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add chicken broth, beans, tomato paste, garlic and bay leaves.
- Add cover and lock into position. Select PRESSURE COOK** for 30 minutes. Allow cooker to advance to WARM for 10 minutes.
- QUICK RELEASE steam, using spatula to move steam release valve. Wearing oven mitts, carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you. Discard bay leaves.
- Toss tomato with avocado; scatter over soup and top with cilantro. Serve with warm tortillas and lime wedges.
- Substitute chorizo sausage for bacon to add a smoky and spicy flavor.
- Omit bacon and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.