Old Fashioned Fish & Chips
What You'll Need
- 4 medium russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 lbs. cod or halibut fillets
What To Do
- In a large bowl, add the potatoes and cover with cold water.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Fold the milk and egg into the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Let the mixture stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250F.
- Fill the fryer to the indicated mark with oil and preheat to 350F.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Fry the potatoes in batches for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the cooked chips on a layer of paper towels and keep warm in the oven.
- Dredge the fish in the batter until well coated.
- Fry the fish for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Drain the fish on paper towels and keep warm in the oven.
- Turn the heat setting on the fryer to 365F.
- Return the chips to the fryer and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve the fish and chips with Apple cider vinegar or mayonnaise.