Orange Whole Wheat Waffles
What You'll Need
- 1 cup milk
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
- Grated zest of 1 orange
What To Do
- Preheat the Waffle Maker
- In a large bowl, combine the milk and orange juice and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, add the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- Whisk the egg and melted butter together then add the milk and stir until smooth.
- Fold the wet into dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Fold in the grated orange zest.
- Mixture should be lumpy.
- Cook the waffles for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crispy
- Keep warm in the oven.
- Serve topped with butter and warm Maple syrup.