RED VELVET PINWHEEL CREPE CAKE WITH VANILLA FROSTING
What You'll Need
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- Pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon natural red food coloring or use beet juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- Olive oil (for cooking)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1-3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
What To Do
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and salt into a medium sized bowl. Make a well in the center and add eggs, whisk starting in the center and gradually drawing in the flour. Add milk a little at a time, whisking until batter is the consistency of thick cream. Add food coloring.
- Melt the butter until foamy (should smell nutty), then pour into the batter with a pinch of salt.
- Set your BELLA Copper Coated Griddle to a medium heat. Add a little oil to coat the griddle base, then ladle over crepe batter, tilting to coat the base completely. Cook 1-2 minutes until cooked but not browned. Flip using a spatula and cook for 10-15 seconds. Remove to plate and keep warm. Repeat using the remaining crepe batter. Set aside.
- To make the vanilla frosting, beat the cream cheese and softened butter in a medium mixing bowl until well mixed. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and continue to beat until smooth.
- To assemble, lay the rectangles of crepe out on a flat bench and spread a thin layer of frosting over top of the first crepe. Roll up to create pinwheel. Layer pinwheel on top of next crepe/frosting layer, roll and repeat with additional crepes to make one large pinwheel. Slice into individual portions and dust with powdered sugar to serve.