Slow Cooker Turkey Stuffed with Pistachio and Saffron
1 ½ cups butter (softened)
¾ cup chopped pistachio
1 large pinch saffron threads soaked in ¼ cup milk
¼ cup French shallots finely chopped (approximately 4 shallots)
½ cup chopped parsley
Zest of half lemon finely chopped
1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 stick of celery, leaves removed and roughly chopped
2 fresh bay leaves
2 cups of chicken stock
- Mix the softened butter, with the pistachio, saffron threads in milk, shallots, parsley and seasoning. Mix till well incorporated, place into a piping bag.
- To prepare the turkey for cooking, push your index finger between the flesh and skin of the breast of the turkey via the neck in order to make a pocket over each breast lobe (being careful not to pierce the thin connective membrane).
- Pipe the pistachio, saffron butter just under the skin of the turkey to cover and insulate the turkey breast, using one hand to smooth out and create an even thickness of butter.
- Set turkey to chill in the fridge on a plate for 20 minutes, allowing butter to harden
- Season turkey liberally with salt and ground white pepper. Set slow cooker to high, sear the turkey, breast side down for 2- 3 minutes or until golden in color, remove turkey from slow cooker, add in the prepared vegetables. Replace the turkey, breast side up. Add in the chicken stock and set slow cooker to low for 7 ½ hours
- Once cooked remove turkey from slow cooker, strain cooking liquor, discarding the vegetables
- Taste cooking liquid, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed! To serve turkey remove legs, they should almost fall away from the bone, using a sharp knife slice lengthways down the breast bone removing meat away from the turkey breast plate, carve each breast against its grain (across the width) into small medallions
- Serve with creamed corn and an assortment of roasted/ air-fried vegetables and seasoned cooking liquid